Friday, March 18, 2011

UFC 128 Picks

Brendan Schaub V. Mirko Filipović - I think Shaub is a real up and comer in a lackluster division. I think he beats Crop Cop pretty easily. I'd like to see him face off with Mir. My pick - Shaub via Decision.

Nate Marquardt V. Dan Miller - Miller is a late replacement and he's in deep trouble. I'm sure he took the bout to get in the good graces with the UFC as well as getting a big shot on the PPV. He has lost to any top tier middleweights he has faced in the UFC and Nate should run through him. My pick - Marquardt via highlight TKO. Nate will probably get the chance to beat the shit out of Michael Bisping after this.

Jim Miller V. Kamal Shalorus - On paper this seems like a highlight fight for Miller and a way for the UFC to dismiss one of their many lightweights if Shalorus loses. Miller has more wins over more elite competition but he's not in the mix at lightweight yet, not in my opinion. Miller would need to get past a Clay Guida, Anthony Pettis or even a Ben Henderson to put his name on the shortlist. My pick - Miller via Decision.

Urijah Faber V. Eddie Wineland - Two former WEC champs going at it. Faber is the more hyped fighter and someone the UFC wants to continue to build up and a co-headline bout on this card is huge exposure for them both. Everyone and their mother is picking Faber and I see no reason no too as well. My pick - Faber via Decision.

Maurício Rua V. Jon Jones - I am a big Shogun fan and while I admit Jon Jones is something special to watch, I think it's too soon for his title shot. He has not faced even a top 5 light heavyweight. His best competition was Ryan Bader (who I picked to win) and he ran through him like a freight train. Still, the difference between Bader and the Lyoto Machidas and Rampage Jacksons of the world is huge. I think Jones will hold the belt someday, but if Shogun is 100% with his knee injury I think he takes this. My big concern is that Jones will take Shogun down at will. I just hope that Shogun's game off his back will be enough to convince Jones to keep it standing. Jones is a beast, so is Shogun and I am super excited for this fight. I do not want to see Jones win the belt, at least not yet. Long live Shogun, I'm picking him via TKO but I am not super confident in it.

No comments: