Monday, July 30, 2007

San Diego Comic-Con 2007

What is it about San Diego that drains every bit of energy I have? I was only there for about 48 hours, hardly drank anything, and I am still tired. Maybe it's the constant barrage of noise and color. The excursion started out on a down note as I left my cell phone back in Phoenix, my lifeline to everyone I know out there and all the people I wanted to see, and I had no way to get a hold of anybody. So, consequently my social schedule suffered a bit, but the Viper Comics crew are a great bunch of guys and I enjoyed their company immensely. I was also able to hang out with VILLAINS writer/superstar, Adam Cogan, as well as see my buddy and ultra talented artist, Robbi Rodriguez while I was out there. We had dinner at a fabulous Japanese place on Friday.

The con itself was cool, I picked up some great stuff, said hello to the usual fellows and got to spend alot of time at the booth. I appreciate everyone who came by and had nice things to say about Villains, and to all who picked up the trade. Even though 3 days sold out, I didn't think it was as busy as last year, but I was able to avoid all the media/gaming areas, and that's where the kids go nuts. I left a little re-charged about my upcoming project (now if only I could get a script so I could get started). One thing about being around all those talented artists, it makes me strive to show that I am better than what I have shown in the past.

A very special thanks to the waitress at Trophy's who liked my tabletop Hellboy drawing and I want to leave this post with a super-sized recommendation of Ted Mathot's Rose and Isabel books. I have been wanting them for a while, and I picked them up at the con and I must say, they are simply amazing. I was so inspired and I think I might actually do my "Ronin" series of books in a similiar, square-size format. Go to his site, buy his books, you will thank me later.

1 comment:

Flint Lockjaw said...

left you a message.