Thursday, May 13, 2010

Update

Just some random thoughts. I am extrememly bored by most comic art I see in online previews. Many book and styles look so similiar and watered down that they just seem to flow together without anything popping out. When I was a kid getting into comics we had some of the most awesome and differing styles available. Rick Leonardi, John Romita Jr., Paul Smith, Alan Davis, Brett Blevins, and Mike Mignola to name just a few. If you are unfamiliar with any of those names, please Google them, you'll thank me later. The artists out now who do truly energetic and unique work are in the minority and mostly on smaller, less publicized books. Guys like Eric Canete, Sean Murphy, Dan Panosian, Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez and Dave Johnson are still keeping it real and keep me inspired. I just wish there was more reward for these guys who do great work. Google those guys too, you'll be glad you did.

Anyway, I picked up some calligraphy markers the other day and sketched this. Really loving that Alex Toth vibe here, his marker work is a huge inspiration to me. More later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more - I'd add Colleen Coover and Steve Lieber to your list of folks who doing great things using their own style.