Friday, April 29, 2011

UFC 129 picks

Here are my semi-regular picks and my nonsense for picking who I pick.

Welterweight bout: Canada Sean Pierson vs. United States Jake Ellenberger
- I'm picking Ellenberger here, he's beaten Mike Pyle and came close to beating Carlos Condit and has just faced the stiffer competition.

Welterweight bout: United States Nate Diaz vs. Canada Rory MacDonald -
This is a tough bout for Diaz, MacDonald was a touted prospect and took Carlos Condit the distance (almost), so we know he's tough. He's not noted as a big wrestler though, so with that I give the boxing and jiu-jitsu edge to Diaz. I love watching Diaz fight so this should be a good one.

Lightweight bout: Canada Mark Bocek vs. United States Ben Henderson - Ben Henderson put son enjoyable fights and he was a favorite of mine in the WEC. Bocek is a skilled jiu-jitsu guy but Ben has proved he is almost impossible to submit. This is a toss-up for me, but I'll go with Henderson.

So far I have picked all the American guys. That will change, trust me.

Light Heavyweight bout: United States Randy Couture vs. Brazil Lyoto Machida - Randy wins if he gets Machida against the cage or on the ground, Lyoto takes it if it's a striking match. I think Lyoto is too quick and elusive for Randy and I think he picks Randy apart. Machida is my pick.

Light Heavyweight bout: Belarus Vladimir Matyushenko vs. United States Jason Brilz - I honestly do not care.

Featherweight Championship bout: Brazil José Aldo (c) vs. Canada Mark Hominick - Aldo is a beast. Beast! He wins via TKO. Maybe round 2.

Welterweight Championship bout: Canada Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. United States Jake Shields - I don't think there is a welterweight on the planet that can beat GSP and I should know, I always pick against him. Not this time though, GSP wins on the feet, scrambling out from under Jake's take downs and picking him apart like he did Koschek.

No comments: