Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend Comics

I recently paid my $137 in fines to the Phoenix Library (ironically using the money they paid me to teach a series of seminars on comic book art), and yes I said $137. That got me free and clear of over a years worth of late fees, and one very used copy of Ultimates Vol.2. I was very happy to do it though, as it got me and my boys back on track to library good karma. In the past week I have checked out and read, a volume of Noble Causes, the Invincible Hardback, Paul Pope's Batman 100, a volume of Ultimate Spider-Man and most notably, the first Immortal Iron Fist volume by Fraction, Brubaker, Foreman and Aja. I loved every inch of that book, their legacy of the Iron First is fantastic comics.

I also picked up CAKE vol1. on Friday and chatted with those guys a bit. Fun release party, great book, good beer, and I only wish I could have stayed longer. Big congratulations to those guys for having the balls to take on such a big self-publishing venture.

5 comments:

Benjamin Hall said...

Wow! Your library has a much better GN selection than mine does.

Ryan Cody said...

It only has 1 shelf for North American style comics, and about 4 for manga. So they have really cut back in the last year or so, still a good collection though.

RAWLS said...

Hey Ryan! Glad I found your blog! You've got a really great style my friend. Very graphic..great use of blacks. Keep up the good work man!!

rory said...

That's a ridiculous fine! Man, I bitched when I had to pay $20 a couple of months ago. My branch( by Metro) has a pretty good selection as well. The only problem I have is that they are ALL in the TEEN section, which asks that adults not even go in there, so I get the weird looks when I walk in anyways and start going through the books.

Ryan Cody said...

Rawls - Great blog and site, thanks for swinging by!

Rory - Yeah, it's ridiculous that they keep them in the teen section. The Burton Barr branch is worse as it has its own floor I have to wander around.