Friday, February 04, 2011

UFC 126 picks & more

The other night I was having some drink sat a bar and they played the promo for UFC 126 a bunch and were showing a replay of a WEC. It got me thinking about some MMA stuff and I even wrote some notes on a napkin. So here we go, starting with my UFC126 picks (main card).

Miquel Torres VS Antonio Banuelos - I'll pick Torres on this one. I think he's too well rounded, he's the favorite and I think the UFC wants to get him back in the title picture or at least get him into a bout with Uriah Faber. So they gave him this fight expecting him to win it.

Jon Jones VS Ryan Bader - Both these guys have egos that bother me, but they are both two of my favorites at 205 and much needed new blood in a division that rehashes Rampage/Rashad & Machida to no end. No love is being given to Bader, he's a -220 underdog as of right now, I expect the betting line to close a bit. If I had the money I would have dropped $100 on him when the line opened and he was an even bigger underdog. Jones is flashy, ruthless and talented as hell and he will probably win this fight. I'm picking the upset though and going with Bader. He's the best wrestler Jones has ever faced and I think he is a better pure power wrestler than Jones. Jon Jones is going to the best striker Bader has ever faced, but I will take the wrestler over the striker most days. Jones has never really been pressured on his back and I think if Bader can get past Jones' reach advantage and take him down, I think he can get a decision here.

Forest Griffin VS Rich Franklin - I'll take Forrest in a tight fight between two pretty evenly matched guys. No knockouts here but a good chance and a pretty entertaining fight.

Anderson Silva VS Vitor Belfort - In his last fight against Chael Sonnen, Silva was manhandled most of the fight. I remember watching it and thinking that something didn't look right with Silva. He looked like he wasn't even trying to stop the takedowns and looked lethargic. He still won, in dramatic fashion no less, against a roided-up Sonnen . I was screaming for the triangle for a good minute before he sunk it in and was ecstatic when he did. Belfort is a great striker and has tons of power, but I still see a healthy Anderson Silva winning, but I don't think it will be easy. I'll pick the favorite here and go with Silva.

Other MMA thoughts - Jamie Varner got cut by Zuffa but I think if he drops weight to the 145 division he may be able to make a run back to the majors. he's only 5'8" and is out sized by most guys at 155. I don't think he beats a guy like Jose Aldo, but I think he may do better. Speaking of Jose Aldo, he's a monster and I think he cruises past Mark Hominick using leg kicks and clinch work. Hominick has never seen leg kicks like Aldo has, just ask Uriah Faber.

No comments: